Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cheryl, Award Winner and Health Advocate

My thoughts on the ‘Wellness Revolution” conference…

I was only there for a day, but wish I could have attended the entire thing. The presentations were outstanding as was the participation. The folks there seemed determined to make a dent in the prevalence of CNCDs. I too have found myself all fired up. I was not able to contribute to the declaration that was produced at the end, but I am not going to let that stop me from getting involved. I have already read and internalized the various points, because I believe that anyone who wants to make a difference; who wants people to change their eating habits and to get out and exercise more needs to demonstrate this in his/her own life.

I can’t promise that I will join an organization, or any such thing; time will not permit me to do so. However, I plan to use the means at my disposal to help keep the revolution going – my pen (read computer keyboard).   I am already advocating for a daily instead of weekly health page in the Stabroek News. My boss hasn’t bent as yet… but he is leaning...

(Cheryl Springer is the first Caribbean Journalist to win the InterAmerican Jounalism Contest Award for Tabacco Control)

No comments: